Cohesive & Effective Recycling of Prosthetics
How your mobility centre can get amputees back on their feet in sub-Saharan Africa
Legs4Africa is the charity that gets people walking
We want to make prosthetic leg rehabilitation affordable for everyone living with limb-loss in sub-Saharan Africa. To address the challenges that we face, we need people like you and centres like yours to jump on board.
Recycling good quality prosthetic legs is one of the ways we support limb-fitting centres in Africa. By supplying legs for free, we can offer amputees affordable access to assistive technology and help centres to keep up with high demand.
How To Get More People Walking
We currently receive and ship around 2,000 legs a year from hospitals across the UK, the USA, Australia, Canada and France. But In Africa, 1.7 million amputees are still in need of a limb to help them live independent lives. In order to change this clear imbalance, we need people like you, and centres like yours to jump on board.
Recycling legs is easy - all you need to do is follow a few simple steps, and we’ll do the rest:
1. Start Accepting Returned LimbsWe suggest putting a poster up in your waiting room to let patients know that you’re on board.
2. Remove Sockets & CosmeticsThese are the parts we can not accept and recycle.
3. Separate Foot, Pylon, Adaptors & the KneeThese are the parts that we can accept be reused across our mobility network.
4. Put All Parts in a Rigid BoxTry to get the box to weigh between 20-30kg, so we can make the most of our donors’ support by securing the best courier rates.
5. Let Us Know You’ve Got a Box ReadyAnd we will arrange for it to be collected at a time that suits you.
6. Parts Will Then be Processed & ShippedTo a trusted network of limb fitting centres across sub-Saharan Africa
Legs4Africa has provided us with a convenient, ethical and eco-friendly way to recycle our used prosthetic components. We store any items that still have economic value — Legs4Africa do the rest!
— Bex Yearworth
Prosthetic Quality Engineer,
Industry FriendsIf your limb fitting centre is managed by Opcare in the UK, or OAPL in Australia please direct boxes directly to your company head office where they are kindly forwarded onto Legs4Africa.
Poster DownloadsWe’ve got 3 bright and informative posters that we encourage supporting limb centres to stick up on the wall so patients and staff know that you’re on board.
Request Liability waiverWe can provide you with a ‘hold harmless’ agreement on request.
Stay ConnectedNot ready to donate but would like to join our Limb Centre Network? Well, you can join our community by subscribing to our newsletter.
Ready to request a collection?...
Do you have a box ready for collection?
Fill out this form with your details and our Legs4Africa team will arrange it to be collected at a time that is convenient to you.
If you're having issues with this form please send us an email