Equality and DiversityLegs4Africa recognises the importance of valuing all trustees, staff, volunteers and supporters, and believes that we can only succeed if we attract and retain a diverse community of talented people.
Over the last year we’ve done a lot of work into Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and we are continually learning how to be the best charity we can be.
These are the actions we are proud to have taken so far:
- We have conducted a charity-wide survey on equality, diversity, inclusion and how Team Legs feels about this
- We have created Legs4Africa's first Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Plan. It covers the period of December 2020 to December 2022.It outlines key objectives and and provides targets for achieving improvements in equality, diversity and inclusion.
- We have put together a 'how to recruit in a fair and equal way' document which outlines how we will now write job descriptions, job specifications, advertise positions and conduct interviews and inductions - ensuring at each stage that we do everything we can to be inclusive.
- We have become a Disability Confident Committed employer
- We have put an end to unpaid internships
- We have committed to being a living wage employer
- We have encouraged all staff to include pronouns in their email signatures, alongside this document explaining why we are doing so
- We have completed a website disability audit and made changes to ensure it's as accessible as possible
- We have trained and selected a designated Mental Health First Aider
And we have made the following training sessions mandatory for all permanent, paid staff:
- Mental Health First Aid
- LQBTQI Awareness
- Gender Identities Training
- Disability Awareness
- Race Equality
- Faith and Religion Awareness
- Unconscious bias training
We are so proud of how far we have come in 2021 and the progress we have made towards being a fully inclusive and welcoming employer.
We will continue to update this page with further information but if you do have any questions, concerns or ideas please email [email protected]