CHAIR OF TRUSTEES ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Role title – Chair of Trustees
Direct reports – Board of Trustees
- Provides leadership and direction to the board of trustees that enable the board to fulfil their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the organisation.
- Ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document, charity law, and other relevant legislation/applicable regulations.
- Works with the board of trustees to support the staff and volunteers in helping them achieve the aims of the organisation.
- Facilitates the board of trustees in stimulating, excellent, well rounded, carefully considered, strategic decision making.
Main responsibilities of the chair:
- Formulate strategic plans and regular review of the long-term strategic aims of the organisation.
- Develop organisational policies, define goals, targets and evaluate performance against these.
- Approve the annual cycle of board meetings, meeting agendas, chair and facilitate meetings and ensure they are implemented.
- Liaise regularly with the treasurer to maintain a clear grasp of the organisation’s financial position and to ensure full and timely financial transparency and information disclosure to the board.
- Lead and mentor other board members to fulfil their responsibilities and enable access to training/coaching information to enhance their overall contribution to the board.
- Annually, at least, review the board structure, role, relationships and ensure any agreed changes / developments needed are carried out.
- Be a spokesperson at appropriate meetings, events and functions.
- Lead the board in fostering connections and relationships that support the aims of the organisation.
- Act as final stage adjudicator for disciplinary and grievance procedures if required.
- Facilitate change and address conflict within the board of trustees and within the organisation.
- Ensure adherence and compliance around key policies in all decisions and discussions of the board and any sub-committees.
- Attend and be a member of other committees and working groups as appropriate.
Are you the next Chair for Legs4Africa? If you are interested or know anyone that might be then please apply with a short letter of motivation and your CV to [email protected] by the 30th April. We are looking forward to hearing from you!